UWRL

Background

UWRL History

In the early 1950's, Utah State University (USU) faculty and administrators began planning for an integrated facility for interdisciplinary water resources research. In 1959, the Utah State Legislature authorized the establishment of the Utah Water Research Laboratory (UWRL). Funding for the original structure was provided by the Utah State Legislature, with supplemental funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the National Institutes of Health. The building was dedicated in 1965, and faculty from a wide range of academic departments began using the facility. By 1975, the research program had outgrown the facility. The Environmental Quality Laboratory was housed in makeshift construction behind the Hydraulics Laboratory, and office space was scarce. Additional funding was obtained from the Utah State Legislature, and in 1980 the present UWRL building was completed.


Construction Video

Click on the image below to watch a QuickTime (4579k) video of the construction of the UWRL.



UWRL Directors

UWRL's first director was Dr. Vaughn E. Hansen (1964 to 1966). He was replaced by Dr. Jay M. Bagley who served from 1966 to 1975. Dr. Calvin G. Clyde served from 1975 to 1976. Dr. L. Douglas James was director from 1976 to 1991. Dr. David S. Bowles, after serving as Acting Director, was appointed Director in 1992 and stepped down in 1996. Dr. Ronald C. Sims served as UWRL Director from 1996 to 2003. Currently, Dr. Mac McKee is the UWRL Director.


Dr. Vaughn E. Hansen
Dr. Vaughn E. Hansen
(1964 - 1966)


Dr. Jay M. Bagley
Dr. Jay M. Bagley
(1966 - 1975)

Dr. Calvin G. Clyde
Dr. Calvin G. Clyde
(1975 - 1976)

Dr. L. Douglas James
Dr. L. Douglas James
(1976 - 1991)

Dr. David S. Bowles
Dr. David S. Bowles
(1991 - 1996)

Dr. Ronald C. Sims
Dr. Ronald C. Sims
(1996 - 2003)

Dr. Mac McKee
Dr. Mac McKee
(2003 - Present)